Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pink or Blue?

Chris and I find out NEXT WEEK whether we're having a boy or a girl! We decided to test some old wives tales and see if they're leaning pink or blue. I have been feeling girl since the beginning, and Chris says he'll bet money on it being a boy. Obviously one of us is wrong. I hope.

The Chinese gender predictor says it's a boy.

Food. Sweet, sugary cravings are said to point to a girl; sour, salty cravings mean you're having a boy. I've eaten a lot of salty snacks, but I don't know if I'd call them cravings. The one thing I can't get through the day without is fruit. Fresh fruit, frozen fruit, fruit smoothies and fruit juice. I want it all the time. That means it's a girl. Some say that if you refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread, you're having a girl. I won't eat it, but honestly the only time I've ever eaten it was in college when I'd eat anything as long as it wasn't moldy. Not sure how well this one holds up. Half a point for girl.

My body. They say that if you are carrying more in your belly, it's a boy. If you've got more weight in your butt/hips, it's a girl. Now, I've always had a little more in the hips and butt, and although they have gotten a little bigger over the past few months, I'm mostly carrying out front. I'll say boy on this one. A round face means girl, but my face is still looking normal (for now), so it's another boy vote. I've had constant headaches, no morning sickness, cold feet and dry skin. That's boy, boy, boy and one more boy. Acne is a sign of a girl, and while it's not noticeable on my face, it's pretty scary on my back. The hair on my legs isn't growing any faster (my stomach is a different story), that's another girl sign.

Dad's body. They say that if dad's gaining weight along with you, it means it's a girl. He looks pretty good to me, but he's not losing any weight, so we'll call this one a tie.

Baby's body. A higher heartbeat signifies a girl. Baby's heartbeat has been consistently in the 160s- that's my girl! Then we have the business of carrying high or low. This one confuses me. The baby is still below my belly button, but that's where most babies should be at this point in the pregnancy. It feels like he's hanging out at the bottom of my uterus, and feels awfully heavy at times, so I'll go with low, and say boy again.

Constant mood swings means it's a girl. Wouldn't it be great if I could blame my craziness on the extra estrogen? Yeah, let's go with that...

Now we come to the pendant/needle/wedding band trick. You tie one of them to a string, hold it over your belly and see if it swings back and forth or in a circle. Problem is, I've heard that swinging back and forth means it's a girl, but Chris has heard the opposite. We're stumped here.

Lastly, I bought an Intelligender test. I know it's not completely accurate, but we wanted to do it. Some people say it's 50% accurate, making it a $30 coin flip, but I've read some reviews and it's supposed to be about 80% accurate in home tests (90% in lab tests). Plus it was fun. It was a little cup full of what looks like Draino crystals, but I'm no scientist. Green means boy, yellow or orange means girl. Our result?
It's a boy!

I know everyone likes to guess, so what do y'all think? Boy or girl?

4 comments:

  1. My parents thought I was going to be a boy the whole time based on the heart rate and how my mom carried I think. Mom said that back in the 80's they didn't do ultrasounds unless they thought there was a problem, and she never had one. So they really didn't know for sure the whole 9 months, can you imagine? That would drive me crazy. I definitely wanted to know!

    I always thought that high heart rate = boy, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. It's not that accurate anyway.

    If I counted correctly, you have 7 points for girl and 9 points for boy, PLUS the home predictor is another point for boy. The only other person I know that used that test, the test said boy, but they had a girl.

    Even though the points are saying boy, I still think you're having a girl. That's my guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing girl :) sorry Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old wives tales!! Looks like a boy if it was up to your test!

    ReplyDelete