Friday, July 16, 2010

29 weeks, glucose test

I had my glucose test this week. I was scared. Last time they drew blood I passed out, so I feel like I'm a little justified in being scared. I had to fast for 8 hours so I scheduled my appointment at 8am so I just skipped breakfast instead of starving myself all day. Chris wasn't sure if he'd be able to get out of work to come with me and that made me even more scared.

Yeah, I'll be giving birth to a baby soon and I'm afraid of having some blood drawn. Awesome.

He called when I was driving to the doctor and said he'd be there a little late. Whatever, he'll be there, I was happy. I asked if his boss gave him a hard time- apparently he said "she's a bigger wuss than my wife!" Wow, thanks a lot a-hole. I was already so upset about the appointment that I just started crying. Ugh.

I finally got to see the nurse around 8:40 and Chris came in with me. I thought I'd drink my gross orange drink, wait an hour, then give up my veins. They had some confusion with my paperwork, left the room, said they needed to call someone because I wasn't their patient... this just made me more upset. They said they had to take blood before AND after the drink. Cool. I managed to get through it just feeling a little lightheaded. The drink was okay at first and pretty disgusting towards the end.

My doctor's assistant stopped by and said she was ready to see me so we went back to her office. She saw the bandaid on my arm, asked why they poked me already and then told me they shouldn't have done that. Great. She said I felt clammy then asked if I was going to cry. I told her no, but I thought I might just because I didn't know why everyone was so confused about what they were doing with my blood. Totally not a big deal but I was tired, hungry, and thirsty.

Part of the fasting was no water, which sucks when they ask you to pee in a cup when you arrive. I said sorry, I've got none, maybe after the test.

She said everything looked good, confirmed that the pains I've been having about once a day are contractions and told me to call if I had them 5 times within an hour. Can we talk about these contractions? Sharp pain wrapping around my poor little baby that would literally bring me to my knees if I happened to be standing when they hit. Luckily I've been laying down or sitting when I get them. Labor is going to be fun! Yay!

The doctor went and scolded the nurse for poking me before my glucose test.

Back in the waiting room, Chris said he had to leave because his boss needed him back at work and he didn't know we'd be there this long. I started crying AGAIN. What is my problem? He felt bad but had to go and I wasn't really that upset, I felt like a little kid on her first day of school. I didn't want him to leave.

I calmed down and went back inside, read a book for a while and was a very brave girl when I went back in to let them take my blood again. I did NOT pass out, I only felt a little dizzy if I was standing for too long afterwards.

I decided I needed to eat. Let me rephrase that, I decided I needed to eat chinese food, and I needed it now. I drove a mile down the road to a chinese place to find that it was closed for another 30 minutes. No good, I have to get back to work. Then I remembered that there is a chinese place right next door to my doctor, so I drove back that way, and they were closed! Damn it! Surprisingly, I didn't cry. I got some nuggets at Wendy's and started driving to SA.

About halfway to Blanco I started feeling sick. Not going to throw up sick, but going to pass out sick. I stopped at the house, called my boss and told her I couldn't make the drive. Thank goodness she understood. I climbed into bed and didn't get out until Chris called 3 hours later.

Interesting day. I felt a lot better the next day, and my week got exponentially better. More on that in my next blog.


Oh, did I mention that I have a HUGE bruise on my arm now? Thanks a lot, confused nurse. Now I look like a drug addict mother. Oh, I finally managed to pee in a cup before I left. Guess what? The cup had a hole in the bottom! Funny joke, guys! I got to clean pee off of the seat and floor while desperately trying to reach for another cup to put my faulty cup in. That just wasn't my day.

2 comments: