Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm Engaged!!!

It's a sad day for the single women of our tiny little town. One of Blanco's finest bachelors is officially off the market. Not that anyone would have gotten near him before we were engaged, considering he had a crazy pregnant woman following him around everywhere.

I can't help it. You'd be the same way if you managed to sink your claws into trap trick enchant a man like him.

Now, it wasn't a complete surprise. We have been talking about marriage for a while now. A long while, I may add. We discussed getting married before the baby arrives. Considering she is going to be here about 10 weeks from now, I was really hoping he'd ask me soon. I'll admit that I haven't been very patient.

Last Tuesday, Chris asked if I'd like to go out to dinner with him the following night. So I don't have to cook, he said. Well, we had just discussed a new budget in which we would not go out to eat, but cook at home instead. He said he knew I'd had a few rough days at work and he thought he'd treat me to a nice dinner. I couldn't argue, it sounded great. He told me to pick out a restaurant on the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

Wait, so he's taking me to a nice dinner AND he's driving out to San Antonio on a Wednesday...

Maybe my cooking has been lacking? Honestly, I was more concerned over which restaurant to pick because I was tired of cooking. It's hard to cook when you have to stand a foot away from the stove so you don't burn your belly. I picked one- I can't remember what it was now, but I even looked up prices and reviews to make sure it was good, but not too good, so I didn't feel guilty about it.

He met me at work on Wednesday. I had packed a cute dress so I didn't have to wear my smelly work clothes out. He looked good, I told him. He didn't seem nervous, so I figured we were just going to dinner. As we were driving out, he said "It's a little too early for dinner, I'm not really that hungry yet. Let's go there, I think you can pay to go up to the top and see the view of San Antonio." [points to the Tower of Americas]


I'm in. That thing looks awesome. We discuss how tall it is. Is it as tall as the Space Needle? Isn't there one like that in Dallas, but it's a big ball or something? Yeah, I think there's a restaurant at the top of the one in Dallas. How the heck do we get over there?

We found it, we parked, I stopped to look at a map. I act like I know what I'm doing. "We want to go to that elevator, the one that goes to the observation deck." Chris politely pretends to listen to me. We walk inside. We get in line for the elevator. The WRONG elevator. "Chris, we aren't going to the restaurant, we're in the wrong line."

"I think this is the right one. I'm starving, let's just eat here."

Okay? When the man is hungry it's best to feed him right away, so I don't complain. I begin to get suspicious, but I don't complain. The ride up was awesome. You get to look out a glass window as you go up a million stories (I don't know how high it was but I got a little dizzy at one point). We walked into the restaurant, Chris says "reservation for Tyre."

Mmm hmm, he's up to something. Is he going to propose? No, if I think he's going to then he's not going to and I'm going to get all excited over nothing. Just enjoy your dinner. Hey, that steak looks good...

We're seated and Chris points out that the room is slowly rotating. I freak out a bit. Once I realize we're moving, I get a little dizzy. Like if I stay in my car when it's parked on the ferry going over to Port Aransas. We start talking and the dizziness goes away. We order our meal, we both got steak and shrimp. It was delicious. We ordered dessert even though I was stuffed. I ate it all, it was delicious. I had stopped wondering about what he was up to by now because I was distracted by the food and the view.

Then he stands up. To "stretch." Except he gives me this funny look as he's standing. I go back to looking out the window, thinking this "stretch" is a walk to the bathroom or something. Then he's on the ground next to me. No, not passed out. On his knee. Oh good God.

He starts talking to me. It makes me cry. I buried my face in his neck because I thought everyone was looking and I didn't want them to see the pregnant girl crying. He says everything right but I can't really remember exactly what it was he was saying. I just kept nodding my head. He stopped talking, I may have continued nodding, I'm not sure. "Is that a yes?" I nod a little harder.

There are few times in my life that I am completely speechless. This was one of them.

I managed to get out "You made me cry in front of everyone!" Smooth, Jess. I know I said "I love you" at some point. He put the ring on my finger and everyone clapped. Like in a movie, it was kind of weird.

Everything after that is pretty unimportant because I was just SO happy that I kind of floated through the rest of the evening. The people at the table next to us took a picture.


You can tell we're genuinely happy because our eyes are all squinty.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute! As everyone's said a thousand times, congrats, you look so cute/happy together/adorable!
    On a side note, it was great seeing you yesterday, even if it was for a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I loved hearing the full story. What a great guy! Congratulations to you guys again!

    ReplyDelete