Friday, June 11, 2010

Prego goes camping.

Last weekend I went camping. It was hot.



We got to Canyon Lake around noon on Saturday. We had gone to my sister's graduation the night before so we just slept at home Friday night. It was warm, but we were talking about taking the boat out so I wasn't too worried. Well... the boat wasn't working properly and the ladder had broken off a couple of weeks before when we took it out, so I could have jumped in the water but it would have been very difficult to pull me out. It's an old pontoon boat and the deck sits pretty high off of the water. So I decided against it. They got it running alright and Chris said we could take it out when it cooled off so we wouldn't have to get in the water.

Lisa and Jacob were there with their new puppy Lela, but they left pretty soon after we arrived. They had been there since Thursday night so I really don't blame them for leaving! We sat around in the shade with Cindy and her family. I really love Cindy's family, they're all so sweet and easy to get along with. They made burgers and hot dogs, we all ate, then sat around some more. I think I drank about 15 gallons of water, haha. They picked a spot relatively close to the bathrooms so it was easy to walk over, but not so close that we could smell them. They were pretty clean so I was satisfied.

By the time the sun started to go down and it cooled off, the last thing we wanted to do was wade through the tall grass (I'm slightly terrified of snakes) and get the boat up and running, so we decided to take the boat out another time. We sat around and listened to Sam talk about this fake palm tree another site had lit up the other night. I never saw it but I'm guessing it was something like this:


Sam decided he needed one, so maybe we'll have our own palm tree next time we go camping! He was talking about mounting it on top of the pontoon boat. He mentioned that you can't get drunk with a palm tree on the top of your boat because it's pretty much a dead giveaway, haha.

Around 9 everyone started to go to bed. Chris had gone out on Friday afternoon to get our tent set up so it was ready for us when we went to bed. He got a really nice queen sized air mattress, twice as thick as a normal one so it was actually pretty comfortable. He also cut a hole in the side of the tent and stuck an AC unit in there to keep it cool. It worked for the most part, but part of the top of the tent was mesh and there was no way to seal it off completely so a lot of the air escaped. Still, it was better than no AC. It was a new tent so we really didn't know what we were working with.

It took FOREVER to fall asleep. Despite Chris' best efforts, it was hot in there. The mattress was surprisingly comfortable. The worst part were the cicadas. Good lord, the cicadas. You know how you go camping and you listen to the frogs and the bugs and it's a low hum that kind of puts you to sleep? This was the complete opposite. It was like having surround sound turned the whole way up to ELEVEN, all cicadas, all night. There was one little bastard that must have been sitting right on top of our tent. Every time I'd start to fall asleep, he'd get going again and wake me up. Even Chris, who sleeps through everything, was bothered by them.

Needless to say, I wasn't in the best mood Sunday morning. It cooled off early in the morning (I even used a blanket!) but by the time we woke up it was sweltering again. I didn't last long. We had breakfast- Cindy cooked pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, everything you can imagine. I ate about 5 pancakes and was good to go. I tried to relax and sit with everyone but I just couldn't do it. I just wanted to be home in the air conditioning. Chris was understanding and started packing up the tent. I got the car started so it would cool down and Roger jumped right in and waited for us, I guess he was ready to go too!

We made it home, cleaned the entire house, and I slept like a rock that night. It was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment