Monday, June 28, 2010

Lessons

Since Audrey has been in town, I've learned a lot.

Even though her clothes are tiny, I'm doing laundry twice as often as I used to. Even though her belly is tiny, I'm making her something to eat every 2 hours. Sometimes you just can't make her eat what's on her plate, and when you offer her something that she likes, she won't eat that either. If you offer time out, she'll gladly accept and go jump on the bed until daddy asks her if she wants a cupcake and ice cream for dinner. Then she'll cry before bedtime because she's high on sugar but low on energy and that's when daddy gets to handle the situation.

I've learned that situation is the perfect time to catch up on laundry and just stay out of the way.

I will forever eat my meals cold, after everyone else is finished, and then I'll be left alone with a pile of dirty dishes in the sink while daddy watches cartoons with the kids. I've learned that when she's tired she will do everything in her power to act like she's got boatloads of energy so she doesn't have to go to sleep. I've also learned that a quick car ride will knock her out.

I've learned that once the kids are awake, I am not allowed to go back to sleep. If the sun is shining, it's time to wake up, no matter what time I went to bed the night before.

When you're exhausted and it's 8am, you can't really be upset when someone is jumping on the bed informing you that "it's sunny, it's time to get up NOW." The zoo is a lot more fun when you've got a kid with you. You'll actually agree to go to the zoo in June while 6 months pregnant, tired, hot and sweaty, just to be there when she says "I've never seen THAT animal before."

It's a ton of work, but it's worth it. I have a feeling I'm going to be learning a whole lot more in the next years :)

2 comments:

  1. Each and every one is so right! You're a great step mom and you're going to be just as awesome with Emily too.

    I feel like this past year has been the most amazing (and difficult) learning experience of my life, and clearly you're in the exact same boat. All I can say is it's going to get harder before it gets easier, but it DOES get easier. You'll be eating hot meals again before you know it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eventually you'll be feeding Emily off your plate...so you kinda get to eat at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete